Friday, January 3, 2014

Life After Birth: Labor & Delivery

So there I was a couple of days past my due date and the contractions started.  I didn't feel that common wrap around tightening in my abdomen (every one's experience is different ALWAYS remember this).  My contractions felt more like an intense menstrual cramp.  As this sort of thing usually goes they grew closer and closer together.  I labored great portion at home.  Once at the hospital I waited a few hours in a holding room awaiting admission (I wasn't dilated enough).  This is when the nausea and other bowel type movements began (I'll spare you the details on that one).  By the time I had been admitted I had thrown up all of my dinner and all of my lunch and it just kept coming.  There was no rest for once the contractions stopped it was time to vomit again.  In the mean time I kept telling myself that I was gonna do this thing without any drugs.  I mean come on…women had been doing this sort of thing for thousands of years right?  If they could do it, I could do it.  My mother, who had 4 children without drugs was standing by my side along with my mother-in-law the whole time.  For all intents and purposes I'm a single mom right now (my husband is in Afghanistan and was unable to be there for the birth).  I could see them looking at me and thinking that I should just get the drugs.  I demanded on holding off.  There was no pressure from them, and all I could think about was wanting to be tough.  Then the largest vomit and other things that I shall not mention happened.  That was it for me.  That was the straw that broke the camels back, and I decided that I needed the drugs just for a little bit of relief.  It's really true what they say, you never know what it will be like until your there laboring.  I got over the complex of what people would think if I got an epidural.  Once I got it, it really gave me a lot of relief from everything.  I was able to save my energy for the big finale, it only took 20 minutes of pushing and my little man was here.  To clear up an misconceptions of epidurals, I was able to feel him moving into position in the birth canal, the crowning and all that fun jazz.  I wouldn't have changed anything.  Yes there are risks, as with anything, but be sure you go with your instincts, and you don't need to be a hero.  My little guy was a healthy 8 pounds 2 ounces at birth.  He looked nice and pink and alert as ever and is doing great to this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment